The wheel is one of the oldest inventions known to man. It was developed around 3,500 BC by Sumerians and Egyptians. In ancient times, wheels were made from wood or stone. Later, metal was used to create stronger wheels. Today, steel is the most common material used to make car wheels.
Car wheels consist of four parts: hub, rim, tire and lug nuts. Hub is the center part of the wheel where the axle goes through. Rim is the outer ring of the wheel. Tire is the rubber band that holds the wheel onto the vehicle. Lug nuts are the bolts that secure the wheel to the vehicle.
1) They are strong enough to support a large amount of weight.
2) The tires can be easily replaced when they wear out.
3) They provide better traction on wet roads.
4) They help in reducing accidents caused due to poor visibility.
5) They protect your car’s body from damage.
6) They prevent the wheels from slipping off the vehicle.
7) They add beauty to your vehicle.
8) They improve fuel efficiency.
9) They reduce noise pollution.
10) They increase safety while driving.
1) They may break if you drive over them at high speeds.
2) They can get damaged if hit by stones or other vehicles.
3) They may not fit all types of cars.
4) They may become loose with time.
5) They may crack if driven over uneven surfaces for long periods of time.
6) They may be heavy and difficult to handle.
7) They may cause injuries to the hands of people who work on cars.
8) They may scratch the paintwork of the car.
9) They may rust after some time.
10) They may be expensive.
What are car wheels made of?
Wheels are usually made up of two main components: hub and rim.
- Hub: This component consists of three parts: inner hub, middle hub and outer hub. Inner hub is the central portion of the hub which connects the wheel to the suspension system. Middle hub is the second part of the hub and it is located between the inner hub and the outer hub. Outer hub is the last part of the hub and this is the largest part of the hub. It helps in connecting the wheel to the vehicle and also provides stability.
- Rim: This component consists of five parts: flange, spokes, rim strip, bead seat and nut. Flange is the first part of the rim. It is an arc-shaped piece of metal that is attached to the wheel. Spokes are the next part of the rim. These are the thin pieces of metal that connect the flange to the hub. Rim strip is the third part of the rim. This is the thickest part of the rim. Bead seat is the fourth part of the rim. When the wheel is placed on the vehicle, this part comes into contact with the wheel. Nut is the fifth part of the rim. The nut is used to attach the wheel to the vehicle using bolts.
- Tire: This component is used to hold the wheel on the vehicle. There are different types of tires available in the market today such as radial ply, bias ply, radial carcass and radial belted. Radial ply has one layer of cords running parallel to each other. Bias ply has two layers of cords running perpendicular to each other. Radial carcass has one layer of cords that run radially around the tire. Radial belted has a single layer of cord wrapped spirally around the tire.
- Lug Nuts: These are the bolts that are used to secure the wheel to the wheel well of the vehicle. They come in various sizes depending upon the size of the wheel.
What are the advantages of buying new tires?
Buying new tires will save you money and somehow will increase the valuation price of your car in case you want to calculate your car value. You don’t have to pay any service charges when you buy new tires. Also, they provide excellent performance and durability.
What are the disadvantages of buying new tires? Buying new tires means spending more money than purchasing used ones.
How do I choose good quality tires?
When choosing tires, make sure that you check out the following things before making a purchase:
• Tire tread depth – Check out the tread depth of the tire. If the tread depth is less than 3/32 inch then it is recommended that you replace the tire. Tread depth should be at least 1/16 inch.
• Tire width – Make sure that the tire fits properly on your vehicle. A wide tire can cause problems while driving because it makes the vehicle unstable.
• Tyre type – Choose a tire that matches the type of vehicle you drive. For example, if you drive a sports car or SUV, then you need to go for sporty tires.
• Tire pressure – Check out the tire pressure of the tire. Most vehicles recommend maintaining the pressure between 30 psi and 50 psi.
• Tire wear – Check out the amount of wear on the tire. Avoid buying tires with excessive wear since these tires won’t perform well.
• Tire condition – Look out for cracks, cuts, bulges and other damages on the tire. Such damaged tires might not perform well.
Mohamad Omary is the Managing Director of Car Wise. Sell My Car – CarWise Car Buyers – Dubai is a car buying company that has established itself as the go-to partner for those who want to quickly sell their used cars in the UAE; reaching 20,000 satisfied customers with their easy car selling process and excellent customer service. If you’re interested in finding out more about the most convenient way to sell any car in UAE, visit CarWise.